February 11, 2013
1. Enjoy it! We know it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of planning a wedding. Just don’t forget to stop and enjoy that fiance of yours first! Take it slow and look at those wedding magazines together!
2. Tell, tell, tell! This is one of the most important days of your life, share it! Call your parents, call your friends, and use those social networks for something good!
3. Put that date in stone! This could be one of the most important decisions you make regarding wedding planning. This can affect the over all feel of your wedding day. This includes picking a season that suits the both of you, thinking through costs at Venues during certain times of the year, as well as availability. June weddings go quicker than you can say “mine!” Another thing to think about is having a Friday wedding. Some photographers are willing to give you a price break when doing so!
4. Get your shop on! Gather up mom, friends, and your fiance if he’s into it and shop, shop, shop! You know it’s one of the first things you were looking forward to! Gather up the organizational necessities to keep you in check while planning your wedding. If you’re not the organized type there are specific wedding binders made just for YOU! Another great planning resource that you don’t have to shop for is The Knot. They provide vendors broken down by state, real weddings, and even ideas broken down by color!
5. Real life Pinterest board! Pinterest is a great resource… but it’s always helpful and motivating to have something you can touch! Find a cheap (and big) cork board and start tearing out photos you love. Anything that inspires can go up there. Incorporate color, shoes, accessories, style, dresses, bow ties, etc. And if you’re having to do all your planning from the office.. go ahead, jump on Pinterest!
6. REWIND! Take a step back and remember #1. Your fiance chose you, not crazy, psycho wedding planning girl. Set specific times to talk together about wedding planning, give him a break the rest of the time. We know it will be hard to bite your tongue because you are so darn excited, but DO it anyway!
7. Pick a number! It’s time to set that budget! If you’re using a wedding planning you should have plenty of help with this one. Setting a budget and staying close to it will help your life to run much smoother through this time. It’s also important to establish what is most important to you for your wedding day at this time. Is it more important for you to have THE best food on earth at your wedding? Do you want to have the dress of the century designed specifically for you? Is having beautiful photographs to remember the most important day of your life first and foremost? Knowing what matters up front will help you to know where you can move in the budget and which area to disperse the most money to.
8. Vendors vendors everywhere! Seriously, vendors are everywhere! It’s not finding the vendor that’s hard, it’s making sure they’re not already taken! Check with your friends, get to googling, and use those wedding planning sites! Save the ones that catch your eye and go with your gut! It’s ok to ask friends for suggestions, but don’t ask them to choose for you. YOU need to be happy with who you choose!
9. Give em your John Hancock! It’s time to write those checks, send those Paypal payments, or scan those debit cards. It’s extremely important to lock down the vendors that you want! It can be highly discouraging to miss out on booking them by a week or two. It ALWAYS pays to be early! Call em up, ask their availability, meet up if necessary, and book em! Most vendors will require a 50% retainer up front and the remainder due closer to your wedding day. Doing this early can give you first choice as well as a nice long break between payments!
10. Relax! Lastly, don’t forget to relax. Realizing up front that things are going to happen and there is no such thing as perfection will be a huge help on your wedding day. YES, it can rain on your wedding day. The weather does not cater to you! YES, things will get lost. It is human nature and there will be a LOT of things to keep up with. YES, people will be late. Not everyone lives by the same clock as you do. Just remember! You are marrying the love of your life and THAT is the most important thing! Look in his eyes and know that no matter what happens he chose you and you are going to spend the rest of your lives together!
We hope you enjoyed our list of 10 things to do after you get engaged. It’s an important journey of your life and you wanna do it right! If you have any questions feel free to throw em our way!